Wednesday 16 January 2013

Interview with Carolyn Arnold

"University. Land of opportunity?" - @vanessa_wester


Tell us about you.

I am an avid reader and am passionate about reading and writing.  There is nothing better than discovering a gem that you simply can not put down or coming up with an idea - isn't there? I have studied Law and Accounting and worked in business for a few years before I retrained as a Mathematics Teacher (which I loved...).  I have three gorgeous children who I adore and have been lucky enough to devote the past ten years to their care.  In that time I have given up my time for voluntary organisations, which I find extremely rewarding.  Swimming and walking is how I keep fit, reading is how I keep sane, and writing is how I escape... Life is good! Thanks for reading, Vanessa :) xx

Tell us about your book.

University. Land of opportunity? For Steven Thorn, it’s the start of a new life. Just not the one he anticipated. As his resolve is put to the test, he ends up losing everything. For who could live a normal life as a HYBRID?

Steven Thorn has no trouble settling in at university. He is used to living away from home; he went to boarding school from the age of eight. He is intelligent; academia has never fazed him. When it comes to making new friends, he is cautious. Usually, he receives too much unwanted attention.

Caitlin Chance catches him off guard. She’s the first girl he has ever felt an instant attraction towards and the more he gets to know, the more he likes. When Caitlin leaves university after a suspicious suicide the romance grinds to a halt. Now Steven is alone, Ingrid gets her chance and it doesn’t take long for her to discover that Steven is a HYBRID.

However, when his estranged mother, Emily, convinces Ingrid to lie about who Steven really is he obtains a short reprieve. Unfortunately, Ingrid does not intend to let Steven remain away from her for long. She has other plans. The wheels are set in motion for his radical upheaval.

Steven will become a stranger to everyone. He will be forced to embark on an adventure of a lifetime. He will come face to face with his past and future.

Now they know he exists, they will come to get him. Everything will change...

What inspired you to write this book?

I watched an interview by Stephenie Meyer where she explained how she had started writing when she was at home with her children and had a lightbulb moment! I had always loved writing as a teenager and had dabbled over the years (without any clear objective).  It was a challenge.  Could I write a book too? Yes, yes I could...

What can readers expect when they open your book?

To be drawn into the world of students, where friendship and life away from home leads to an unexpected turn of events.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as a writer?

The fact that I have been able to share my work with others (it takes a LOT of guts...) and have given them enjoyment.  What could be better?

Who is your favorite author and why?

What a tricky question! I have many authors I love but if I have to name one it has to be Agatha Christie.  She is the author I aspire to...

Do you have any suggestions for writers just starting out?

Finish the story! Don't stop along the way, carry on, see it to the end.  Then look back and make changes, improve, scrap and polish.  Until the story is complete you really can't stand back to see what you can make better.  Even when you hit that middle ground, when you are sure it is rubbish, carry on.  The end is in sight... I promise! :)

What is your favorite quote?

"You must allow me to tell you how much I ardently admire and love you." Mr Darcy to Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice.

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?

Steven Thorn... I would love to be a man for a change!  Especially someone who has "super powers."

If your book was made into a movie which actor/actress would play which character(s)?

Steven Thorn - Colin Firth (when he was 19!)
Caitlin Chance - Lindsey Lohan

Tell us 5 random things about you the person, not the author:

1) Love swimming
2) Love drawing cartoons
3) Love good movies
4) Love talking
5) Walking is the best

Where to connect online

Twitter: @vanessa_wester
Facebook:  Vanessa Wester
Blog: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanessa-Wester/e/B0081KT43U/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1


FEATURED BOOK:  Hybrid (The Evolution Trilogy)
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Buy on Amazon 

No comments:

Post a Comment