Saturday 31 May 2014

On Cancer & Charities

I have not mentioned on this blog the anthologies I have done in aid of charity and I thought it was about time,

So please read and enjoy, and perhaps pause for a minute to reflect upon the things we take for granted...

Vanessa :)

On Cancer and Charities

None of us1On Cancer and Charities – by: Vanessa Wester

A few years ago, my cousin, Alistair, died of a brain tumour aged 27. It was devastating for his parents, in particular, his sister and the rest of the family. None of us could come to terms with what had happened – the question always lingered… why? And yet, Alistair accepted his fate completely. He was a very religious man, and he believed he would find his place in heaven.
His girlfriend was devoted to him for the two years since the tumour was found, and actually married him a few months before he passed away, even though she knew his condition was terminal. The story was beautiful, even though heart-breaking.

At that particular time, I was going through severe depression. I had two very young children, had endured two emergency caesareans, and had been diagnosed with an under-active thyroid (which made my hormones and nerves jump all over the place). Because of this I did not attend the wedding – I simply couldn’t handle it, and we lived in The Netherlands at the time so it was difficult to get to Gibraltar (where I come from) anyway.

The pictures were fantastic and they had a great day… everything was perfect.

When Alistair passed away I attended the funeral. As I walked past the gravestones, I was a wreck. As much as I knew he accepted his fate, it was hard to know he was gone.

So many1The thing is Cancer is a deadly disease. I am sure you do not need to be told this but it can happen to anyone.

And yet, it is not the only thing that affects many of us on a day to day basis.
My father has had 3 heart attacks, as a school teacher I saw the effects of abuse and neglect on children, my mother is constantly battling Diabetes and I also had a close friend who had Diabetes from birth, and watched her inject herself with insulin as a teenager.

So many things that affect us.

Luckily, there are charities that can help. And over the years I have regularly supported a range of them.

And so, we come to talk about my charity collections.

Out of DarknessIn October 2012, I started talking to another author about short stories and decided to try to publish collections. We found willing authors, and I published the first collection, ‘Out of Darkness.’

I made a blog for the ‘Short Stories Group’ – www.shortstoriesgroup.blogspot.com persevered and published two other adult collections, all for different causes.

I then set up a different blog for children’s collections, and have published two – www.kids4books.blogspot.com

Since I am based in the UK, I donate proceeds to the UK charities, but it all helps the same cause no matter where you live – in this world we are all united.

All of the details on the authors, the anthologies, links, etc are on the blogs… so please go take a look.

Reading is MagicI have recently updated two of the collections, and for the record do all the formatting, layout, cover design etc myself. Some other authors help with editing. I take NO profit from any of the collections…

I hope you all take the time to have a look, and if you buy please leave a review and share. If we all do our bit to help others in need, surely this world will become a better place.

Thank you, Leisa for allowing me to share on your site.
Best regards,
Vanessa

Charities supported to date:
British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK, Diabetes UK, NSPCC, Gurnard Primary School (not strictly speaking a charity, although the PTA is a charity, but still a worthy cause).

No comments:

Post a Comment